John Atkinson will help you get ready for Game of Thrones, season 6, with his handy (and hilarious!) character generator.
There are no links for the products this time, because you can buy any of these products at your local grocery store, drugstore, Ulta, etc.
- e.l.f. Lip Exfoliator
- e.l.f. Lip Primer and Plumpler
- NYX Slim Lip Pencil: nude beige ($3-$5) hot red ($3-$5)
- NYX Slide On Lip Pencil: summer tease ($6-$8)
- Maybelline Color Sensational Matte Lipstick: nude embrace ($5-$6) craving coral ($5-$6) siren in scarlet ($5-$6)
I found myself Googling images of matte lipstick since Kylie released her lipstick/lipgloss line. No, I did not purchase any of her lipsticks, but I never realized how elegant lipstick actually looks on women.
I have never ventured too far into the lipstick world because I always thought I would look tacky with lipstick; my lip routine consisted of chapstick and maybe some lipgloss on top – and that’s if I wanted to be fancy. I never thought much of lip products beyond chapstick, but now I’m hooked on lipstick after a week of wearing it.
After some research, I learned that you’re supposed to exfoliate your lips one to two times a week. This may be old news for most of you, but now I know. Mind. Blown.
So I picked up a lip exfoliator by e.l.f. cosmetics from my local grocery store. e.l.f. is one of those brands that is extremely affordable and produces high-quality products.
This lip exfoliator, pictured above, had a cinnamon scent and taste that I could live without, but it certainly removed my chapped skin and left my lips feeling smooth and revived. I would repurchase e.l.f.’s lip exfoliator.
I also purchased e.l.f.’s lip primer and plumper.
The el.f. lip primer and plumper is self-explanatory; it’s a two-in-one product with one side that primes your lips to help your lipstick last longer, and the other side plumps your lips to make them appear fuller. Because this is my first lip primer, I don’t have anything to compare it to. I didn’t do too much research before buying this product – it was just there so I grabbed it. I don’t love it but I don’t hate it.
The primer side neutralized my natural lip color by making my lips nude, but it also blended with my lipstick color. For example, when I applied my red lipstick, the red color mixed with the primer color and made my lips pink. It’s not that big of a deal, but it is an annoyance. I had to apply more and more lipstick to get the red I wanted.
I was also a little disappointed by the plumper side. I did not see a difference between my natural little lips and my lips after I used the plumper. I probably would not repurchase e.l.f.’s lip primer and plumper.
Now that I got the e.l.f. reviews out of the way, I get to tell you about my lipliner and lipstick purchases.
I normally splurge on cosmetics at Sephora (V.I.B. member is an understatement), but I didn’t want to dish out $20+ on lipstick because I wasn’t sure if I would even like lipstick on me. Remember, I’m just now venturing into the lipstick world. After a lot of research, I found the general consensus was that Maybelline’s Color Sensation lipstick line and NYX’s matte lipstick line were Sephora-quality. I decided to buy Maybelline’s matte lipsticks and use NYX’s lipliners.
I stood in that cosmetics aisle for, like, 3 hours because I could not decided which colors to get, and how many different colors to limit myself to. Even though the lipsticks and lipliners are $4-$6 each, it adds up fast.
As you can see in the pictures above, I bought the Nude Embrace, Craving Coral, and Siren in Scarlet; I chose a nude color for the days I want to go heavy on the eyes, an orangey-red color because orangey colors are supposed to look good on Asians, and a classic red for my Hollywood-glam look. The NYX lipliners were a close match to my lipsticks, so I bought one lipliner for each lipstick color.
NYX’s lipliners were good. They applied smoothly and were fairly smudge resistant, but I assume most lipliners get the job done. My focus is on my lipstick.
So what do you think of my new lips?
I am officially, not to be a cliché, OBSESSED with lipstick. I love Maybelline’s matte lipsticks because they are very pigmented; however, they do transfer. The color will last given that your lips don’t touch anything, but you will need to reapply after eating or drinking.
Still, for less than $6? Yes, I will continue buying Maybelline’s Color Sensation lipsticks.
I like the nude, although I would like to see a lighter shade for me. The coral lipstick shade was also great, although my boyfriend said it was a little bright and I would have to use minimal makeup. Finally, the Siren in Scarlet was and is my favorite color by far. Not to mention, the name “Siren in Scarlet” is pretty kick-ass.
“Why yes, I am wearing Siren in Scarlet.”
As a real estate agent, I have the luxury of dressing business casual- and more on the casual end of the spectrum compared to corporate business casual. For work, I often pair a blazer with jeans, a skirt, or a dress; I have this unholy obsession with blazers, so you will all see many outfits topped with some form of a blazer.
This outfit is from a few days ago, after meeting with a client. And yes, I’ve worn the same heels for the past few posts now- deal with it, these heels are adorable.
Next up: Possible look into my closet full of blazers; however, I suppose I’ll actually have to clean it…
Back to Basics in Seersucker Attire:
- White Dress by Joie (Size XS): Similar (here), (here), or (here)
- Banana Republic Factory Seersucker Blazer (Size 0): Similar (here) and (here)
- SJP ‘Pola’ Pointy Toe Pump (Size 8): Refer to “The Urban Suit” post for similar links (here)
- Tory Burch Envelope Clutch in Yellow: Similar (here) or check out their website (here)
Well it’s been a little over a week since my latest post. Sorry ’bout that.
I just finished a big project (the night before it’s due date) and I feel like I have lifted so much weight off my shoulders; I still have a lot of school work ahead of me as the semester comes to an end. I should probably stop procrastinating… but it won’t happen.
Now that my latest project is over, what better way to celebrate than bankrupting myself? Exactly, there is no better way.
My walk-in closet is a hot mess right now, but no time to clean it due to all these essays; however, I found my sparkly Vince Camuto jacket-blazer-thing in a box stuffed with blankets.
I don’t know why I stuffed it there, and I wonder what else is hidden in the abyss of my closet. My cat likes to venture into my closet because it’s like a endless mountain of clothes and boxes she can climb.
Anyways, I took my Camuto jacket-blazer-thing out shopping and even took it for a spin around campus- particularly around the Performing Arts Center.
I’m Feeling Sparkly Attire:
- Vince Camuto Jacket-Blazer-Thing (Size 0): Similar (here), (here), or (here)
- BKE Boutique Lace Shirt from Buckle (Size XS): Found (here)
- Nicole Miller Legging/Pant (Size S): Similar (Here)
- Beaded Collar Necktie from Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th : Similar (here) or you can refer to my other post (here)
- SJP ‘Pola’ Pointy Toe Pump (Size 8): Refer to last post for similar links (here)
- Michael Kors Tote: Similar (here, here, or here)
I’ve had this obsession with rompers and jumpsuits lately; however, my boyfriend doesn’t understand the appeal. He says, “Jumpsuits are for artists and painters.” I guess I can’t expect my southern frat daddy to understand fashion.
I mean, I don’t question his need for pastel colored shirts, so he shouldn’t question the jumpsuit.
Urban Suit Attire:
- Romeo & Juliet Surplice Tie-Front Crepe Jumpsuit in Beige (Size S): Found (here) and Found in Black (here)
- SJP ‘Pola’ Pointy Toe Pump (Size 8): Similar (here) or (here)
- R. J. Graziano Ribbon & Chain Necklace: Found (here)
- Deux Lux Clutch: Similar (here)
Who says you can’t wear black panty hose beyond fall and winter?
I’ve always learned that nude panty hose are for spring and summer, while black is for fall and winter; in this case, I broke the rule and wore black.
My evening “Fancy Shmancy” attire is a shimmery gold skirt overlaying a green silk button up and black pullover. The skirt can be worn at the hips as well, but I decided to use a belt to hold the skirt above my waist and give it the “paper bag” look.
I love high waisted paper bag skirts and shorts because it’s a flattering look.
Bee tee dubs, I don’t know if there’s an official way to spell “schmancy.”
Fancy Shmancy Attire:
- BCBGMaxazria Gold Skirt (Size 0): Similar in silver (here) or in gold (here)
- Worthington Black Pullover from JCPenny (Size XS): Similar (here)
- Beaded Collar Necktie from Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th : Similar (here)
- Equipment Silk Button Down in Green from Neiman Marcus (Size S): Similar (here)
- Cole Hann Belt from Cole Haan (Size XS): Similar (here)
- Black Panty Hose
- Green SJP Strappy Heels from Nordstrom Rack (Size 8): Similar (here)
I didn’t feel like straightening my curly locks today, so I cut my wild hair loose.
I’ve been on a Mad Men Netflix binge lately, and Betty Draper’s (or Francis) equestrian look has inspired me.
I found a scenic view on campus at Texas State University for today’s shoot, so no trespassing today.
Equestrian Prep Attire:
- Free People Hannah Necktie Blouse (Size XS): Found on sale (here)
- Free People Tie Shorts: From Nordstrom Rack (Size XS): Similar (here)
- Brooks Brothers Wool Vest (Size 4): Similar (here)
- Louis Vuitton Tote (old): Similar (here)
- Steve Madden Tanngoo Wedges in Taupe: Similar (here)
Today’s scenery was a random area with a white fence. Did we trespass? Probably.
I went on a Free People splurge at Nordstrom Rack the other day, and this is one of the gems I picked up.
It’s a flowy t-shirt type of dress made of 100% rayon. I’ve paired it with an old scarf I’ve had and some knee high boots.
The White Dress and the White Fence Attire:
- Free People Button Down Dress (Size Small): Similar (here)
- Renee Suede Tall Boots in Beige (Size 8.5): Found (here)
- Burberry-looking scarf my mom gave me. Or maybe it is Burberry?: Burberry scarves (here)
- Cole Hann Tote: Similar, in White, (here)
- Michael Kors Watch: Similar (here)